May 12, 2010

The Throne

This is a prayer from "The Valley of Vision" p.272  It is very encouraging and I want to share it with you.
 O God of My Delight,
Thy throne of grace is the pleasure ground of my soul.
Here I obtain mercy in time of need, here see the smile of thy reconciled face, here joy pleads the name of Jesus, here I sharpen the sword of the Spirit, anoint the shield of faith, put on the helmet of salvation, gather manna from thy Word, am strengthened for each conflict, nerved for the upward race, empowered to conquer every foe;
Help me to come to Christ as the fountain head of descending blessings, as a wide open flood-gate of mercy. 
I marvel at my insensate folly, that with such enriching favours within my reach I am slow to extend the hand to take them. Have mercy upon my deadness for thy Name's sake. Quicken me, stir me, fill me with holy zeal. Strengthen me that I may cling to thee and not let thee go.
May thy Spirit within me draw all blessings from thy hand.
When I advance not, I backslide.
Let me walk humbly because of good omitted and evil done.
Impress on my mind the shortness of time, the work to be engaged in, the account to be rendered, the nearness of eternity, the fearful sin of despising thy Spirit.
May I never forget that thy eye always sees, thy ear always hears, thy recording hand always writes.
May I never give thee rest until Christ is the pulse of my heart; the spokesman of my lips, the lamp of my feet.

No comments:

Resurrection Hope

Why does the Christian perspective seem so weird? Why does gospel teaching seem so disconnected and impractical? It is only weird and impra...