May 10, 2019

Resurrection Hope

Why does the Christian perspective seem so weird? Why does gospel teaching seem so disconnected and impractical? It is only weird and impractical if there is no resurrection. It makes all the sense in the world and is the most practical thing you could do, trust in Jesus and take up your cross and follow him, if the resurrection is real.
Wednesday morning I was reading the commentary on the New City Catechism to my children before they left to get on the bus for school. I came across something I have already written a little on and taught and preached but it struck me in a new light. It was D.A. Carson's explanation of the significance of what Christ's resurrection means for us, question 50. Not only are our sins forgiven but we have the hope of one day no longer dealing with sickness. Carson says,
"And with this comes also a vision of life and existence beyond this life. We should not think that Christianity merely sorts out some problems in our lives here. Rather, the ultimate goal is beyond this life. When we get older and more hairs fall out and arthritis kicks in, or we slink away into dementia, suddenly resurrection existence begins to look very good indeed because our hope is not to survive to seventy or eighty or even ninety. Our hope finally is a body like Christ's resurrection body. And his is the first fruit; ours has been secured by him, and we are coming along behind him to join him in resurrection existence; full-bodied resurrection existence in the new heaven and the new earth, the home of righteousness."
D.A. Carson in commentary on New City Catechism question 50.
I was impressed with the thought that we far too often only think about this life. Far too many christians think and teach others that being a Christian will make this life better, without pointing to the resurrection. It will make this life better, but so much more. The resurrection is the only thing that makes this life worth living. If we only live for this side of the resurrection, we will be sorely disappointed. If we are only living for retirement, then we have weak reason to fear God or obey his commands. The power of the gospel and the word of God has its full effect in the anticipation of the new heavens and the new earth. If this life only matters for the present until we die what keeps us from the corruption and evil of doing whatever it takes to get what we want now? Our anticipation and hope in the resurrection is our strongest motivation to obey God and live according to his ways now, even when it seems like we end up losing for obeying. The Resurrection gives us hope that we will see the fruit of our obedience in the end. This is what Psalm 73 gets at when he says he was like a beast until he came into the sanctuary and discerned the end of the wicked.
What are you living for? What is your hope? I have struggled some this year in our plan to return to Peru and keep working to build the city of God through Christ's church in Trujillo. I recognize now that my divided feelings have been torn between wanting to go back and participate with my brothers and sisters over there and also wanting to stay in my home town where I have deep roots and family and raise my children where I was raised. Those desires are not necessarily wrong but this perspective of the resurrection shows me that those are short-sighted desires. I have a bit of inheritance here in Louisiana in my home town, but I have a much bigger inheritance that is much longer lasting in the new creation.
1 Peter 1:3-5 says, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."
1 Peter 1:3-5
This morning I was reading in Hebrews 11 and came across these verses that resonate with all of this, verses 13-16,
"All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. And indeed if they had been thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for he has prepared a city for them."
Hebrews 11:13-16

Wow, that is why I will take my family back to Peru and continue the work of building that city by preaching and teaching the gospel to obey my King and participate in preparing his bride by doing my part to cultivate and raise up more loyal followers to further His kingdom where he has called me, even if I might like to raise my garden and build my shop in my home town where I can go up to my family's cabin and hunt and fish and teach my children to do the same. This resurrection hope that the scriptures tell me about shows me there is something bigger and more important than enjoying the land that I grew up on. I will get to enjoy the new creation on that day when Christ is fully revealed in the end, which will actually be the beginning.

No comments:

Resurrection Hope

Why does the Christian perspective seem so weird? Why does gospel teaching seem so disconnected and impractical? It is only weird and impra...