Oct 23, 2018

An old VW and Evangelism

Several years ago when we returned to Peru for our second term, we decided to buy an old VW van. I didn't know much about classic VW's back then but since learned a little bit. This was a type II. Curiously enough it was built in 1995 although not a modern model.  I write about this because of the relationship I have been developing with the man who has been helping me take care of these things. His name is Felix. I have not seen him since we came back to the States for this year. I ask you to pray with me for him and we look forward to reuniting with him when we get back to Trujillo next year. Felix is a tapicero, which means in english, an upholstery worker. He mainly does upholstery for cars and furniture but he also works on a lot of things. He is a networker too. He knows a lot of people around town.


Not long after we bought the van I started looking for a mechanic who I could trust to not overcharge or underwork. There just so happened to be a shop around the corner from our house. I knew of a couple of mechanics and places to try. But I needed someone who knew about classic VW motors. I had been to one who told me the whole motor was shot and it would cost about six thousand soles (it turned out he was telling the truth, which is why we finally got rid of it). I wanted a second opinion. So I stopped by this shop where I heard there was a guy who could do the upholstery (which was hanging loose from the roof when we bought it). I walked up to the shop and some of the mechanics were working on a few cars inside. Nobody seemed to pay attention. There was another VW beetle there that looked in decent shape. I asked around and they told me the man to talk to wasn't there. I started to leave and then finally another man walked up and asked if he could help me. This was Felix. There was something different about this man. He seemed to understand how to get customers. I wasn't sure if I could trust him but I explained my situation and he said he could help. He gave me a decent quote to fix the upholstery on the roof and fix the seat-belt that didn't work.  He just so happened to know a mechanic who specializes in classic VW motors. I thought I would give him a try.  Felix did a great job on his work and then connected me with the mechanic who came to take care of the mechanical problems which included the carburetor, gas gauge, brakes, clutch, gear box and the muffler too, since it was bent after a brakeless car rear-ended Meg. This was only the beginning of a relationship that turned out to be a great ministry opportunity not only with Felix but with the other mechanic, Elias.
After a year of working with Felix he finally accepted to let me teach a Bible study with the guys in his shop. He claims to be catholic but rarely goes to church. I just offered to teach the Bible for what it says. I explained where I stand as an evangelical presbyterian and he continued to want me to open the Bible and explain it. After another year, we decided to sell the VW van because it kept giving us too many problems but we continued our relationship with Felix. I worked through Ephesians and several different passages of scripture. We started working through the gospel of John and came close to finishing before it was our time to leave for Home Assignment. We tried to hurry and finish before we left, but too many interruptions either with Felix's schedule or mine didn't allow it. I have seen a change in Felix's life. He has a deep hunger to hear the Word and understand it. He continues to say he is not worthy to come into the church and I continue to explain the gospel to him that Jesus is the one who makes us worthy as we trust in His work. I gave him a bible. He says he needs me to explain it to him. I tell him that if he will read it, he will begin to understand it more and more. Felix continues to want to hear the Scriptures explained. He says he needs it and always tries to make time to do a Bible study when we can. Please pray with me for Felix that the Holy Spirit will open his heart to receive Christ, just as He did for Lydia in Acts.


“A woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple fabrics, a worshiper of God, was listening; and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul.”

(Acts 16:14 NAS95)

No comments:

Resurrection Hope

Why does the Christian perspective seem so weird? Why does gospel teaching seem so disconnected and impractical? It is only weird and impra...